Information for the Common Grant
BEFORE YOU DEVELOP A PROPOSAL, PLEASE CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:
The Roscommon County Community Foundation (RCCF), after careful study, must select a limited number of projects for support from many applications because of limited resources. (Please note all items in bold.)
ABOUT YOUR ORGANIZATION
- Your organization must provide benefits to residents and others with close ties to Roscommon County.
- Your organization must be recognized as a non-profit charitable organization under section 501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Service code. Schools and government agencies are also eligible. Grants to religious organizations will be considered only if they serve the general public and do not have religious overtones of a sectarian nature. Proof of non-profit status is required for auditing purposes.
- No grants are made to individuals, except for scholarship awards from advised field-of-interest Educational Funds.
ABOUT YOUR PROJECT
- Grants are for future projects only. No funding will be given for projects completed before final board approval. Board approval usually occurs about two months after the grant application deadline.
- Grants are not made for routine operating needs or budget deficits.
- Proposals seeking seed money for projects that are new, dynamic, and that show funding support from additional organizations, may be given consideration.
- RCCF discourages repeated applications for sustained funding of programs.
ABOUT FUNDS AVAILABLE
- Applicants may submit requests up to a maximum of $2,500 per application cycle.
- Mini-grants up to $300 are available. (Mini-Grant applications attached at the back of this application.)
- For accounting purposes, all allocated funds are disbursed upon receipt of documentation of the expenditures.
- Grant applications are reviewed two times each year.
- Applications must be completed and submitted to the RCCF office by the last regular workday of April or October to be considered for award in the following month.
- Grants are normally paid within one year of approval. If necessary, project expenditures may be extended into the next year. This extension must be requested in writing.
ABOUT GRANT DECISIONS
- All grant applications are reviewed by a Grant-Screening Committee comprised of RCCF Trustees. RCCF staff members do not vote on decisions regarding fund allocations.
- RCCF looks more favorably at projects which affect a broad segment of citizens not now being served adequately in Roscommon County.
- A request to consider a portion of support for a project, rather than one which looks to the Foundation as a sole funding source, will generally receive greater priority. RCCF is especially interested in matching grants which will attract money from other sources.
Common Grant Application Checklist
Dear Grant Applicant:
RCCF welcomes your grant application.
Please use the following checklist to assist you in completing your proposal:
- Look over the information on the General Information page to find answers to questions about eligibility, deadlines, amount available, and other frequently asked questions about available funds.
- Follow the Common Grant Application Format in preparing your proposal. Use the mini-grant forms to apply for grants of $300 or less.
- Complete the Common Grant Application Cover Sheet. Neatness Counts! Please type or print VERY neatly in blue or black ink. If you reproduce this form on your computer, be sure to include all of the information in the recommended format.
- Follow the guidelines for the application Narrative. This section should not exceed five numbered pages.
- Complete the Budget and attach a Budget Narrative to explain the project budget in greater detail. Be sure to list any additional funding sources for your project.
- The grant application Cover Sheet, Narrative, Budget, and Budget Narrative should not exceed a total of 8 (eight) pages. See the common application format for the list of attachments which must be submitted with the application. (The attachments are not included in the 8 page limit.)
- Proof of your charitable non-profit status, a copy of your 501(c)(3), and a copy of your most recent IRS 990 Tax Form are required as part of your Grant Application. Schools and government agencies are also eligible. Grants to religious organizations will be considered only if they serve the general public and do not have religious overtones of a sectarian nature.
- Do not include additional materials unless specifically requested in the attachments. Report covers, folders, binders, and excess information are not necessary and are usually removed before the application is sent to the Screening Committee.
- Be sure to secure the appropriate signatures from your organization (i.e., executive director, president, etc.) before your proposal is submitted.
- Submit the original proposal and seven copies to the RCCF office by the last regular work day of April or October.
- Prepare to have a member of your organization make a brief (5 minute) presentation about your project before R.C. Grant Review Committee. You will be notified of the date, time, and location of the meeting following submission of your proposal.
- Incomplete, illegible, late, or unsigned applications, or applications not accompanied by 7 copies will be returned.
- Please call if you have any questions about your proposal at (989) 275-3112
Common Grant Application Format
Using your own word processor, provide the following information in this order. Please use these headings and subheadings in your response and make every effort to stay withing the application page limit.
A. COMMON GRANT APPLICATION COVER SHEET (See grant application)
B. NARRATIVE: 5 numbered pages maximum. You may double space and use both sides of the paper.
1. Executive Summary
- Provide a half-page executive summary which briefly explains why your agency is requesting this grant, what outcomes you hope to achieve, and how you will spend the funds if the grant is approved.
2. Purpose of Grant
- Describe the needs/problems to be addressed, the target population, and who will benefit.
- Describe the project goals and measurable project objectives. State whether this is a new or ongoing part of the sponsoring organization.
- State your plans to accomplish these goals and objectives, and the timetable for implementation of your project.
- Are there other organizations involved in this project? What are their roles and financial commitments? The screening committee encourages projects that demonstrate collaborative efforts between multiple organizations.
- What makes your project different from other projects that may be involved in similar efforts?
- Do you have long-term strategies for funding after the end of the grant period?
- Describe your evaluation plan and process. Specify how you will measure success.
4. Organization Information
- Provide a brief summary of your organization’s history, mission and goals, current programs, activities, and accomplishments.
C. BUDGET AND BUDGET NARRATIVE (2 pages)
- Use the Grant Budget Form attached to this application. (A sample budget is provided.)
- On a separate sheet, show how each budget item relates to the project and how the budgeted amount was calculated.
- List amounts requested of other foundations, corporations, and other funding sources.
- Indicate priority items in the proposed grant budget in the event that RCCF is unable to meet your full request.
D. ATTACHMENTS (Please note that there are changes in this section- as of the April 2008 Cycle.)
- Provide a copy of the current IRS determination letter indicating 501 (c) (3) tax-exempt statuses or indicate if applicant is a school district or government agency.
- Provide a copy of your most recent IRS 990 Tax Form, Audit or Financial Status Report.
- List your current Board of Directors
- Submit the original application and seven copies by the deadline date.
NOTE: The IRS determination letter, a list of the Board of Directors and current Financial Status information must be submitted with each proposal. (If necessary, additional documentation may be requested.)
For a PDF copy of the common grant application, or the minigrant application. (Requires Adobe Reader) If unable to load, contact RCCF at 989-275-3112.